First of all, a
disclaimer. I originally wrote this just
for me. I wasn’t going to post it. I just wanted to remember it for my own sake
because for me, writing is cathartic, and looking back in the future to how I
felt on a certain day helps me see how far I’ve come. However, in thinking about it and in praying
about it, I have decided to post it. I
have always been honest on this blog – through the good, the bad, and the
ugly. I know there are some folks out
there who can benefit from what I have gone through and what I’m still going
through and for those, I am posting this.
I AM OKAY. But I am normal. And when things go wrong, in my humanness, it’s easy to still search for the familiar and wish things could be the way they were, even though I know it cannot be.
I AM OKAY. But I am normal. And when things go wrong, in my humanness, it’s easy to still search for the familiar and wish things could be the way they were, even though I know it cannot be.
James 1:4 (King
James Version)
“But let patience have her perfect work,
that ye may be perfect and entire,
wanting nothing.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
When I got up this
morning,
I could walk.
For that, I am
thankful.
When I got up this
morning,
my children were
healthy.
For that, I am
thankful.
When I got up this
morning,
all of our needs were
met.
For that, I am
thankful.
When I got up this
morning,
God was still God
and I have full
confidence in
His ability to take
care of
my children and me.
For that, I am
thankful.
So I am well aware and
very thankful
that it is as good as
it is.
I know it could
always be worse.
But having said all
of that,
it didn’t take long
for my day to start being overwhelming
and for me to start
feeling trapped in my own circumstances.
I guess it really
started yesterday.
Yesterday, I had some
conversations with 2 different people
which were thought
provoking.
One of the conversations
was about my present.
And another one was about
my past – in particular,
about the last night Rob
was conscious.
I’m not really sure
why I did, but with one person,
I shared some painful
details of that last night
that I’ve never told
anyone before.
Which, for the first
time in what seems like forever,
took me back to that
running loop in my mind of that night.
I was successful in putting it out of my mind after a bit
I was successful in putting it out of my mind after a bit
and kept it out of my mind until my phone
delivered a message from the agency that handles the CNA who works with my
dad. In order to listen to the new
message, I had to resave all of my saved messages to keep them from being
deleted.
I have messages from
my Rob that I have saved since he died.
I could have just
chosen resave and skipped over them but
I really just wanted
to hear his voice so I listened.
His voice, coupled
with the earlier discussion, got to me.
It did not take me
back to the “on the floor” crying
but I did cry and the
sadness did take me back
to wishing, yet
again, that I could change some things
about that last night
with my Rob.
And it also made me
wish I could change some things about my present.
None of which I can
do.
What’s done is done.
And that cannot
change.
But, in my humanness,
I still want it to.
After 2 separate
phone calls with 2 friends
(both of whom have lost spouses)
and some prayer,
my mind quieted down
and I was okay to
settle in for the night.
And, even though some
heaviness had lingered,
I awoke this morning with
a clear mind to begin my day.
Much was on the list.
Oil change for my van,
getting Anna’s tires rotated, trips to both my bank and my parents’ bank, paying
bills, phone calls about a phone for my mom’s room at the rehab center since
she just can’t get the hang of using her cell phone again, going through and
choosing photos from the last 3 years for something special, download the information
that I will need for Annual Conference (I
am the lay delegate for our church this year), washing clothes, washing
Mama’s clothes to take back to the rehab center, repair the loose hem in my
black pants, get my dad’s prescription refills and fix his medicine for the
next 3 weeks, school for my kids, and most importantly – trying to figure out
what to do about my dad when I’m going to be out of town for Annual Conference
since he cannot be left alone and the plans that were made way ahead of time
for the first 3 days have fallen through.
So, after taking care
of my dad (the CNA had a doctor’s
appointment
and was not going to be here in time to do my dad’s morning routine)
taking care of some things
around my house,
and making sure my
kids were on call for my dad,
I left to go get the
oil changed in the van.
As I said, some
heaviness from yesterday had lingered
but I really was
okay.
Or so I thought.
I texted back and
forth some with a friend while waiting for my oil change.
I texted my siblings
about the fact that Daddy needs someone to stay with him.
Since they all 4 have
phones now (even Luke), I texted my 4
children and told them all that I love them and they will always be my world.
I took care of
getting some paperwork finished that I needed to turn in somewhere.
And then they said my
van was ready so I stepped up to the counter.
As the guy started
telling me about my van, he turned the monitor to me
so I could see what
he was listing aloud to me.
And as soon as he
turned the monitor to me,
the tears instantly started
to fall.
I
tried
so
hard
to stop them.
But I just could not.
For on that screen
popped up my late husband’s name
and the address of
the parsonage
where that last
conscious night with him took place.
I didn’t remember
that the account was still under his name.
He never owned this
van. It was bought after his death.
But the license plate
was on the previous van so it just transferred over.
Don’t know why I
never noticed in the last 3½ years but this was the first time I did.
And I could not stop
the tears.
Obviously the guy
noticed.
He even asked if I
was okay.
I answered that
seeing my late husband’s name and our previous
parsonage’s address
just caught me off guard. I added that
it’s
been over 3½ years so
I wasn’t sure why it caught me so off guard
but it just did. I handed him my license and asked him if he could
please
change the account to
my name and current address.
This poor guy was
really sweet.
He even said that if
he knew me well enough
he would give me a
hug.
That made me smile
and I told him thank
you and that
I was sorry for crying
at his counter.
He smiled and told me
not to worry about it
and that he was sorry
for my loss.
I left his counter
still fighting back the tears.
I drove to my bank
and parked.
I managed to stop the
tears enough to go through the drive-through
and then headed to my
parents’ bank.
But on the way there,
I just could not stop crying.
So I parked there for
a bit.
I had to finish the
withdrawal slip anyway.
After finally going
through that drive-through,
I headed to the next
place I needed to go.
Walmart.
Which reminded me of
some things about
my present that I wish
I could change.
And the tears started
again.
And, in that moment, I
got so mad at Rob for dying on me.
Because if he had not
died, he would not be my past.
He would be my
present.
He would be my
future.
He would be here to
hold me when I’m sad.
He would be here to
celebrate with me when I’m happy.
He would be here to
tell me it’s going to be okay.
He would be here to listen
to me as my mind jumps from thing to thing to thing
and, even though he
usually couldn’t keep up,
he would laugh at the
speed at which I changed subjects.
He would be here to
be able to handle me as I am.
He would be here to
finish raising his children, to enjoy them, and to be proud of them that they
are such great kids. And they really are
great kids. They are well-behaved, well-mannered,
well-grounded, respectful, intelligent, talented, insightful, spiritual, loving,
compassionate, resilient kids! And
despite all that they have lost are enjoying living their lives. I have awesome kids!
But most of all, what
I thought about today was that, if he had not died, I would not be reliving
those painful details of that last conscious night with him.
So, since I was still
parked in the parking lot, and the tears weren’t stopping, I turned the radio
back up (I had turned it down when
driving into the bay for the oil change).
I always keep it
tuned to K-Love (a contemporary Christian
station).
And, as sure as the
world I’m living in,
I knew God sent a
song of encouragement for me.
For this was the song
that came on:
The Glorious Unfolding
(Steven Curtis Chapman)
(Steven Curtis Chapman)
Lay your head down tonight
Take a rest from the fight
Don't try to figure it out
Just listen to what I'm whispering to your heart
Cause I know this is not
Anything like you thought
The story of your life was gonna be
And it feels like the end has started closing in on you
But it's just not true
There's so much of the story that's still yet to unfold
And this is going to be a glorious unfolding
Just you wait and see and you will be amazed
You've just got to believe the story is so far from over
So hold on to every promise God has made to us
And watch this glorious unfolding
God's plan from the start
For this world and your heart
Has been to show His glory and His grace
Forever revealing the depth and the beauty of
His unfailing Love
And the story has only begun
And this is going to be a glorious unfolding
Just you wait and see and you will be amazed
We've just got to believe the story is so far from over
So hold on to every promise God has made to us
And watch this glorious unfolding
We were made to run through fields of forever
Singing songs to our Savior and King
So let us remember this life we're living
Is just the beginning of the beginning
Of this glorious unfolding
We will watch and see and we will be amazed
If we just keep on believing the story is so far from over
And hold on to every promise God has made to us
We'll see the glorious unfolding
Just watch and see (unfolding)
This is just the beginning of the beginning (unfolding)
Here is a link to the awesome video of the song
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So, what I’ve learned
from the last few days is
that, even at over 3½
years,
I am still navigating
the waters of my new normal.
I am still making
mistakes.
I am still learning
from them.
I learned, yet again,
that grief is cyclical
and never-ending.
I learned that, even
though I truly do
feel whole and
healed,
I will never stop
missing my Rob.
I learned that as
much as I am sick of living in my Plan B,
(or in all actuality, I guess it’s about Plan M by now),
that God is always
there no matter what plan I’m on
and that He will
provide the encouragement I need
to keep on keeping
on.
So I will try to keep
focused on James 1:4 and let patience have her perfect work
so I can be entire
and wanting nothing.
For I know it’s only
through His will that this can happen.
So, I’m waiting God,
for the glorious unfolding of the rest of my story.
Bring it on!

No comments:
Post a Comment