Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Shorter - Like My Grandma Caviness


I was reading through a treasured book today.

If I had not had school to do with my sons,
I would have read all day long.

I would have lingered over the words
and placed myself in them.

Because the author had that ability.
To make me feel as if I were there.

As she remembered her past.
As she wrote about her present.
As she looked to her future.

I didn’t have the time today to read it all.
Because, just as she wrote about in her time of raising children,
my children’s needs come before my wants.

But I will return to her words
and let them make me feel
and smile
and cry
as they nourish my heart
and renew my mind.

For those words written about
that past –
that present –
and that future –
were all written by my Grandma Caviness.

When my house was her house,
she penned the words
that today, as I sat in my dining room
(where she likely did most of her writing),
came alive once again.

Some say I write like her.
What a compliment.

I don’t know if I’m as good of a writer as she was
but one line I read today definitely let me know
that I am at least like her.

And it made me laugh out loud when I read it.

For I have written almost the exact same thing 
twice in the last 5 days
to 2 different people.


 I look forward to reading more!



No comments: