Last Saturday (Feb. 11th), I got a surprise call from a friend & her daughter who wanted to come visit – I’m so glad they did.
Anna and Alana are 6 days apart in age and they were such good friends
when we lived where they live.
(I have no idea why this loaded upside down - I've tried 3 times but Anna and Alana were both little monkeys at that age so maybe it's appropriate :)
Anna and Alana at Rob's funeral
Marty (aka Marleta) and I were also good friends when we lived where they live - and even though we no longer see each other often, we still are good friends. Marty and I have had some “long” discussions over the years. Her boys (who are now grown) lugged my boys (when they were toddlers) around like sacks of potatoes. We all had fun going out to eat together last Saturday. It was so good to be with them again.
We did talk about Rob but we focused on the fun memories. But all I had to do was look into Marty's eyes to know how much she misses him too and that matters so much.
Yesterday, I got a surprise visit from someone I have known since I was 12 – that’s almost 32 years ago. It was so good to see him again. I cannot believe it but I actually forgot to take any pictures. Although we have kept somewhat in touch over the years through Christmas cards to and from him and his wife, I had not seen this friend for over 20 years. I’m pretty sure the last time I saw him was when my brother and I attended his wedding. This man had just heard of my Rob’s death and he came to pay his respects. I was proud to introduce my children to him and I was glad to see a picture of his daughter. I wished I could have introduced my Rob. Although we did talk about Rob, this man did not know him. But all I had to do was look into my good friend's eyes to know how much he grieved my loss with me and that matters so much.
Seeing two really good friends in the span of eight days was good for me. Seeing friends from different stages in my life was not only just fun but it was also a reminder to me that God has watched over me throughout my entire life – weaving the right friends in and out of times in my life when I needed each one of them – and hopefully, God used me to meet needs in their lives as well. As Proverbs 27:17 says “Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend.” That’s what friendship means to me – that we all grow from our interactions with one another. And for this particular time in my world, just the fact that they both wanted to visit helped me move forward with another day each weekend on this pathway I’m having to walk.
And that matters so much.





No comments:
Post a Comment