It is after 11
p.m. as I start to write this.
And once again, I am
closing down the day alone.
When Rob and I first
married, we started the tradition of stopping whatever we were doing at 10 p.m.
and taking the time to wind down the day and to just be together – whether it was talking, watching
a video or something on television, or just lying together in bed
snuggling. It quickly became the part of
the day that I looked forward to the most and he told me it was for him too. We continued the tradition even after having
children – although a lot of the “together” times then included me nursing a
baby to sleep at the same time and it certainly did not always happen right at
10 p.m. but it did happen – almost every night.
Those times together,
a practice we
continued up until the year he died,
are what I miss the
most.
Thinking about those
moments we had together over the almost 18 years of our marriage and how we
would
talk about how our
days had gone,
talk about us,
talk about our
children,
talk about the
churches,
talk about our dreams
of the future,
or talk about nothing
at all and just hold each other in the still of the night as the day came to a
close in peaceful togetherness,
is what still haunts
me each night as I close each of my days in solitude.
No comments:
Post a Comment