My children and I
visited “Little Washington” last Friday.
The town we visited
last Friday might be called “Little”
Washington …
…but my memories from
there sure are great BIG.
I am 45 years old.
I have been a
preacher’s daughter for all of those years.
I was married for
almost 18 years.
I was in my 17th
year as a preacher’s wife when my preacher husband died and I became his widow
instead of his wife.
I have lived in 11
different towns, enjoying and disliking certain things about each one.
I have been a part of
20 churches, enjoying and disliking certain things about each one.
And all of those
facts seemed to crush in on me while I was in Washington , a place my preacher husband and
I lived for 5 years.
Memories assaulted my
mind in a way that was almost unbearable – tumbling one after another to the
forefront of my mind as if they were competing for top billing.
I had actually
anticipated this and I had prepared for it emotionally. I was in front of my children the entire time
and I tried to concentrate on their memories. Anna had SO MUCH FUN remembering
everything as we kept driving around, walking on the waterfront
and the downtown
streets where she was in the Christmas parades,
as we drove past the parsonage,
and as we walked through the
church where my Rob was pastor.
(love what they've done with the side entrance and the new paint on the walls)
(this was Rob's study when we were there - the office is upstairs now)
(my Sunday School class)
(this was our parsonage furniture when we lived there - the couch Luke fell off of when he was 11 months old and broke his ankle just by the way he fell on it - the furniture ended up in the church's youth room - where a lot of old parsonage couches end up in churches)
(Anna's favorite memory of this room is the leftover communion bread and juice)
It was
fun to watch Anna's eyes light up with remembrance. Wesley
remembered a lot too but not as much.
And, of course, Luke didn’t remember anything about the town or the church because he was 18 months old
when we moved.
I didn’t even
cry. But it was hard not to.
You see, in all of
the places that I lived with my preacher husband, this place was where all
parts of our lives, individually and as a couple, came together to be our
happiest time in our marriage, in our family, and in our ministry. It was a fun stage of our lives. He told me this when he was still living and
I have always thought it – even when we were still living there.
And then when you add
in the other…
Our Crystol was in
college only 30 minutes away and was home almost every weekend. Our Anna had so many children close to her
age who were her good friends. Our
Wesley, our oldest son, was born in the first year there. Our Luke, our youngest son, followed 2 years
and 8 months later. Life was good.
And the church. I always felt like I truly belonged to and
had a place in this church. I remember
so many things from Asbury. Working
together with everyone getting ready for things like bazaars, the new
playground, catering for the teacher’s group, cooking and serving funeral
meals, getting the cookbook together, Christmas Eve breakfasts at different
members’ houses, Vacation Bible schools, choir practices during which Anna and
Wesley would stay in Rob’s study and watch VeggieTales movies, Christmas
cantatas, hiding our kids’ Christmas toys at Ray and Marjorie’s house, quilt
squares, board meetings, UMW meetings, charge conferences when Donald would
time it to see if it beat the year before’s time, Sunday School openings, Fall
Halloween Carnivals, Super Bowl parties at the parsonage with the living room and kitchen televisions tuned to the big game, the kids' televisions tuned to whatever they wanted and my bedroom television tuned to the Andy Griffith marathon and a lot of us ending up in there, Communion every month and all of the kids scrambling to
get to the leftover bread and juice, church directory meetings, Valentine’s
banquets, Hurricane Floyd, Christmas open houses at the parsonage, my kids’ birthday parties and
dedication services that were more like church parties, Sunday School parties
for my Sunday School class, and the list goes on and on and on…
I learned so very
much at this church during those 5 years…about life, death, suicide and the
aftermath of it, relationships, marriages and remarriages, surviving after the
death of a spouse, friendships, family dynamics for us and for church members,
and ministry in general and where I fit into it, and the list goes on and on
and on…
But most of all, I
enjoyed watching and listening to my husband at this church. It was a good match. He was happy.
And that was wonderful to watch… and wonderful to live.
I was asked the other
day where I would go if I could go back to one time and space in my life. My answer would be this place and this
time.
Our Asbury in our “Little”
Washington .
And just so you know,
I am not looking back with rose colored glasses. Quite the contrary, life at Washington was not easy. None of my life with Rob was ever easy. Washington
was 4½ hours away from all of our family and I’m a huge family person. I drove many hours trying to keep my children
a part of their extended families’ lives.
It was while at Washington
that my Rob was hospitalized overnight for the first time for lung issues
(originally thought to be his heart) when Wesley was only a little over a week
old. And he was hospitalized again when
Wesley was 1½. I remember calling Lou
(who was the PPR chair then) and crying b/c the doctors had just told me they
couldn’t figure out why he wasn’t processing oxygen. It turned out to be pneumonia which became commonplace
in our lives. But that night was the
first time I had to go through it and I didn’t know yet that it was just
pneumonia when I called Lou. It’s so
hard to sit by a husband’s bed and watch him not be able to process oxygen. That never became commonplace. When Lou’s husband died earlier this year, I
thought of that night and how comforting she was to me that night long ago.
Hard to believe we
are both widows now.
And as for the
church, I remember conflict well (if the
truth is told – there is some conflict at EVERY church). But while at Asbury, even through the conflict,
it felt like we were all one big family – for the good and for the bad – and
for the most part, it was always worked out.
So much so that when
Rob told the PPR committee that he had requested a move - they voted NOT to
accept that. That still makes me
smile. It made him smile too.
So to be back there,
remembering all of this – WITHOUT HIM – was so very difficult.
But I am so glad I went. I have now completed touring “our” ministry life
cycle. In the 2 years and 1½ months
since Rob died, I have faced every town, every church, and every parsonage without
him. I have walked the memory walks
without him there by my side. The things
we would have said to each other, I said to my children. The things he would have been saying to just me,
I smiled at remembering.
And, while standing
in “our” Asbury Church , I, for just a short moment, let
myself remember what it felt like to so completely love and be loved…
…by a church body…
…and by my man.
It felt good.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I didn’t do a lot of
preplanning for this day because truthfully, I wasn’t sure I wanted to face Washington that
day. I did try to contact a lot of folks
through facebook the night before but apparently Abbey (the 1st one
on the message list) was the only one who got the message. (I’m
still learning FB – I feel like my dad when we were trying to teach him how to
use a microwave way back in 1983 or so and he said, “I just don’t understand these
new things!”)
So first, Abbey, on
her way to work, came to visit us at my brother’s house.
So great to see this young lady!
We then headed to Washington . We were in Washington for a little
over 6 hours and we made the best use of our time
We then headed to
Latham’s house. We met Latham when he
and Wesley were both in Kindermusik together.
We all became fast friends. And
even though they haven’t seen each other in years, they still are!
Next was Mr.
Ray. This is the only place Luke
remembered. Even after we moved away, we
visited Ray and Marjorie often. Luke
even remembers Marjorie’s funeral. Luke
got out of the van and immediately started looking for the stepping
stones.
As we drove up, I made the
comment that I sure would miss Marjorie and then I sighed and said, “She won’t
even be here to offer us a Dr. Pepper.”
Well, God must have heard my sadness because one of the first things Ray
did was this:
It was a great visit
with our Mr. Ray. When it was time to
go, my children didn’t want to leave.
Ray and Marjorie’s house was like a grandparent’s home to them, even
after we moved away. It was sad to be
there without Marjorie but great to be there at all.
I so wanted to stop
and see Donald and Ellen but they’re both with Rob now. I missed being able to stop there. We did stop at
Lou’s house but she wasn’t home. I called Marty but she was working out of town that day. And I tried to call William but couldn't get him.
So our last stop
before we had to be back at my brother’s house was to see Leanna and meet her
new son, Collier. Leanna’s mom, Sandy,
came home while we were there but we had to leave before her dad, Brown, arrived home.
And there was another who was missing – not
just from the visit but from life itself.
Christopher, Leanna’s brother, died a few weeks after Rob
did.
I missed his presence.
But I could certainly
see Chris in his nephew – especially in Collier’s facial expressions.
That baby boy sure reminds me of his uncle!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Our day in Washington was, for me,
a day mixed with happiness and sadness, smiles and sighs, and grief and joy.
A microcosm of life itself in one day's time, I guess.
All in all, a good day.
We will visit Washington again.
And next time, I will
plan better!



































































No comments:
Post a Comment