Wednesday, October 6, 2021

Daddy

 I've really been missing my daddy lately.

It's so hard to believe he has been in Heaven for 4 1/2 years now.

This blog post from 2013 popped up today in my memories

and it made me smile to remember that day.


I am thankful my daddy was my daddy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Sunday, October 6, 2013

World Communion Sunday / Watching My Daddy Sunday


Today was World Communion Sunday.


The pastor at our church asked my dad to help him administer the sacrament of communion to our congregation.


My dad was thrilled...


...to be invited to help...


...symbolically offer the "body of our precious Jesus Christ..."


...and to remind us to "Take and be thankful" as we each took our bread.




Offering communion to those wheelchair bound.



And even though my dad's strength has waned and his memory leaves much to long for on many days, his desire to be needed in ministry and appreciation that he was used by God today reminds me once again that our strength comes from God and God alone.


In so very many ways now, I take care of my father just like I do one of my children.
  
But for those brief moments this morning, while I watched him tear up momentarily as he tenderly and compellingly said, "The precious body of our Lord Jesus Christ - Take and be thankful," 
and as I took the bread from him, 
it felt like he was in the father role again and was very much the very vibrant minister I remember. 

I needed that today and I am thankful.


No comments: