Friday, January 1, 2016

22 Years


January 1, 2016

Today would be my 22nd wedding anniversary.

Instead, I am crossing our anniversary for the 5th time since Rob's death

and I am living my 1,565th day without him.

One Thousand,
Five Hundred,
Sixty Five
days.

I miss him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What I wrote in 2015:

Thursday, January 1, 2015


21 Years


21 years ago today, at our 2 p.m. wedding, I became Mrs. Robert Edward Shelton.




Even though our marriage ended with Rob’s death in Sept. 2011,

I will always be thankful that I was blessed

to know how it feels to have loved well


and to have been loved well. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
What I wrote in 2014

Wednesday, January 1, 2014


20 Years

20 years ago today...


...at our 2 p.m. wedding...


...my daddy walked me down the aisle...


...and I became...



...Mrs. Robert Edward Shelton.



Today, I am observing our wedding anniversary without him...


...for the 3rd time.


I will forever be grateful for the years God gave me with my Rob
and I will forever be grateful for the family God gave us.
I have been blessed.





~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
What I wrote in 2013


Tuesday, January 1, 2013


January 1st

Today, January 1, 2013, would have been Rob’s and my 19th wedding anniversary.

Instead, I am observing our wedding anniversary for the second time without him.

(January 1, 1994)


























I did not make plans for today other than taking home some of Anna’s friends who spent the night with us last night.  I knew that this year, by God’s grace, I did not need to be as intentional about how I spent the day as I did last year.  I knew that today, by God’s grace, I would be okay.

And even though it is still so difficult to believe that my Rob is dead and I am his widow instead of his wife, I have been okay today.


However, last year was different.  I had not lived it yet so I didn’t know how the day would be. But I knew that for me, I needed to be intentional about observing the first wedding anniversary without him.  January 1st, 2012 was a Sunday so I decided to worship that day at Ellerbe UnitedMethodist Church where Rob and I were married in 1994.  As a teenager, I spent a lot of time in that church while my dad was pastor there.  I was the janitor there in high school.  And I spent so much time at that altar.  Although I only told 2 people ahead of time (in case I woke up and did not feel like going), I prearranged to have Ellerbe UMC to myself during the afternoon (while a high school friend kept my children at her house) so that I could be alone with my God and my memories during the wedding hour.


I knew there was nothing that was going to make that day better so I decided that spending the afternoon alone with God at the place where I gained what I now have lost would help me the most.


I knew there would be more crying than praying at the altar that day but I also knew God would understand the language of my tears...

…and that afternoon, as I watched the video of the wedding (something Rob and I always did on our anniversary)



and as I took pictures of my wedding veil and pictures of our wedding rings





 and pictures of the video - catching moments that Rob and I grinned and smiled over each year as we watched - 










and as I remembered our marriage and as I prayed…

…I knew that no translation of my suffering was needed…

…I could feel God holding me just as surely as I can feel the hugs from my children each day…

...and just as I wrote in the poem on our wedding program years ago...

"There's a power through Him that takes me through every day"

I felt His power push me on...

...and as I wrote years ago and felt on January 1, 1994 and January 1, 2012...

"No love is greater"

…and I knew, yet again, that I would be okay…

…that God’s grace would be sufficient for that day…

…AND for the rest of my life.






1 comment:

Culture Calendar said...

I love seeing these pictures of such good memories. We were all so young. Look at tiny Caleb! Look at skinny Rob and Janna! I love you.