I learned the hard
way very early on in my late husband’s ministry that there sometimes can be a
very fine line between a church member and a true friend...
…and I realized then that
there are times when that line is NOT to be crossed…
…which goes against
the grain of every part of my personality.
But learn it I did.
And with caution in mind,
I forged forward into friendships with many of our parishioners, many of which
have helped sustain me in the last couple of years.
One of those
friendships is with Tracey. She was our
parsonage committee chairman at our last church the entire time we lived there
so I had lots of conversation with her about the moving-in process before we
even met in person.
And I ended up crossing
that line with her. We became friends.
She came to almost
all of my kids’ birthday parties. She
was instrumental in Rob’s ministry the entire time we lived there, serving on
various committees and such. She always
came over and helped ready the parsonage for our open houses.
In short, she was
there – for her church, for Rob, for me, and for my children.
And when Rob died,
she was there.
I distinctly remember
her tearful eyes and her quivering lips as she stood in my parsonage kitchen
and said to me then,
“I cannot imagine
what you must be feeling.”
And she did whatever
she knew my children or I needed. When
the first Mother’s Day arrived after Rob’s death, she was there to make sure my
kids had a gift for me.
In short, she was
still there.
And now it is my
turn.
On Saturday night,
August 17, 2013, sometime in the 8 o’clock p.m. hour, I received a phone call
from my former church member and my current friend.
Tracey’s 54 year old
husband, Kendall, had died suddenly.
Tracey said, “You are the one person I know who knows exactly how I feel
right now.”
The rest of our
conversations will remain private but suffice it to say, God is using the nightmare
of Rob’s sudden death to still minister to one of his church members and to our
friend.
As I sat in the
funeral home yesterday and as I watched her in her kitchen in her house moving
about and doing things that had to be done and talking with her family and
friends and planning what she wants in the service, the memory of her standing
in my parsonage kitchen came rushing back to me. And oh how I wished now that she did not have
to know how I felt then. Because she
does. She told me. And as I watched her eyes closely yesterday,
I so easily recognized and remembered the utter emptiness that was so overly present
in those first 24 hours. It is
agonizing.
Grief is
horrible. There are no short cuts to the
process. It is something that has to be
lived. It is something that is different
for every person. It is a nightmare.
But I know her. She is strong. She will survive. And she will even thrive again.
But it will be a
while.
Please pray for her
during this “while.”
Another thing hit me
yesterday as I was sitting in my friend’s kitchen. A confirmation of sorts. Something I’m almost afraid to say out loud
but I will due to the fact that because of it, I was so much more able to help
my friend yesterday.
I believe (at least right now I do) that the open
wounds to my heart and mind caused by Rob’s death have finally closed up and
healed. The wounds have left very jagged
scars on every part of my being that will garner attention for the rest of my
life but the open wounds seem to be closed.
I can even point to a day when it happened but that’s not something I’m
willing to share publicly now – if ever.
But it was a moment when it was as if God was breathing new breath into
my being. It was just a moment in time (when ironically, I was surrounded by other
people) that it seemed there was nothing else happening other than what was
going on between my God and me.
Because of that
healing, I could focus on my friend yesterday, not me.
Because of that
healing, I could help her with the very beginning process of “binding up her
wounds” without reopening mine.
Because of that
healing, I could help her feel her pain without feeling mine.
And because of that
healing, for this friend - with whom I crossed that line of church member to
friendship to lifelong bonding – I could reassure her that healing, in its own time, would come.
No comments:
Post a Comment